From the GSA Education Division:
GSA is pleased to announce that Subaru of America, Inc., in partnership with GSA, has funded a scholarship program to encourage minority undergraduate GSA student members to continue their studies in the geosciences. The Subaru Minority Student Scholarship Program provides US $1,500 to one student at an accredited university or college in each of the seven GSA Sections as nominated by the GSA Campus Representatives. The funds are to be used to purchase text books, pay college fees, or attend GSA field trips or conferences.
In addition to the cash award, a complimentary student membership for 2013 will be granted. Meeting registration for this year’s GSA Annual Meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina will also be provided where a student awards reception will be held.
We are asking our Campus Reps to nominate one (1) minority student whom they believe will benefit and be encouraged to continue their studies in the geosciences by receiving this award.
Student Requirements for Nomination:
• Be a U.S. citizen and a member of a minority group (a ‘minority’ is described by the U.S. Census Bureau as being of Hispanic or Latino, African-American or Black, Asian, American-Indian, Alaskan Native, or Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander ethnicity/race);
• Has taken at least two (2) introductory (first year) geoscience courses;
• Be enrolled in additional geoscience courses in the upcoming academic year; and
• Be a current undergraduate student member of GSA. Students who cannot afford the cost of membership may apply for a dues waiver through the membership assistance program.
Campus Rep Responsibilities and Timeline:
• Verify with the student that he/she is a member of a minority group as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau;
• Verify that the student has completed two introductory geoscience courses and is enrolled in geosciences classes for the upcoming academic year;
• Complete and return the nomination form (from GSA Campus Representatives) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9 April 2012;
• Nominations will be forwarded to the GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee for review; and
• All awards will be announced by 1 June 2012.
We hope you take advantage of this opportunity for your minority undergraduate students to be sponsored by Subaru of America, Inc.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions that you may have.
Grants, Awards, and Recognition
The Geological Society of America
3300 Penrose Place, Boulder, CO USA 80301